According to Bharat Bhise, a home gym can help you maintain your fitness goals, especially if you want to avoid expensive gym memberships or don’t have the time and energy to go outside after work. However, there are a lot of important factors to consider if you want to create a suitable home gym that will actually be beneficial for your needs and motivate you to work out.
Here are the steps you can follow to create your home gym:
- Find a suitable space for your workouts – The space requirements for your home gym will depend on the type of exercises you want to perform. For instance, if you enjoy doing yoga, the space should be able to house a yoga mat at the very least along with other things that you might require such as yoga blocks or straps.
Similarly, if you want to perform HIIT workouts, you need much more space and a solid surface. If you want to perform a heavy lifting regimen with weights, you probably need to convert a vacant garage, a spare bedroom, or even your home office.
- Purchase gym equipment according to your needs – It is recommended that you purchase your gym equipment according to your needs one at a time and not spend all your money on purchasing bulky equipment that you don’t need. It is also important to stick to your home gym with a variety of equipment for both cardio and strength training routines.
Here is a list of gym essentials that you should consider purchasing:
- The basics – Resistance bands, mirror, fan, foam roller, towel, yoga or exercise mats, bench, jump rope, stability ball, storage for exercise equipment.
- Cardio – Treadmill, rower, indoor cycling bike, vertical climber, elliptical, and more.
- Weights – Kettlebell, suspension trainer, adjustable dumbbells, barbells, weighted vests.
- Advanced equipment – Squat rack, battle ropes, punching bag, power tower.
- Ensure you set up the room properly – Designing your home gym is very important if you want to avoid accidents. For instance, the room should include plenty of artificial or natural lighting so that you have no problems exercising. The layout of the room should also facilitate movement so that you don’t accidentally hurt yourself while performing any exercise.
If you are into meditation and yoga, it is important to invest in full-length mirrors so that you can see your posture and gain proper feedback on the poses you perform. Finally, it is also important to cushion the floors with foam tiles to protect them from your gym equipment, protect your joints, and ensure they become anti-slippery so that you don’t slip when you perform plyo-movements or core exercises.
Bharat Bhise suggests you stick with a plan to properly motivate yourself to work out regularly. Yes, watching online workout videos and listening to motivational workout music is fun but it can be even more beneficial if you invite a few of your friends who are fitness freaks to have great home gym workout sessions.